Username Password: Remember me

SFI vs FIA harness
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: SFI vs FIA harness

SFI vs FIA harness 16 years, 1 month ago #467

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
SFI rated harness expires in two years, FIA rated harness expires in five years.
Is there any reason not to buy a FIA rated harness?

I believe both to be as strong but changing out the harness every two years seems excessive unless they're damage then of course change them out right away.
--Ken

Re:SFI vs FIA harness 16 years, 1 month ago #468

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
I went with the FIA harness... it was only a few bucks more, and it lasts 2.5 times as long... seems like a much better deal.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video

Re:SFI vs FIA harness 16 years, 1 month ago #475

the only reason i have the sfi ones is so i can use them for passenger belts when they expire

Re:SFI vs FIA harness 16 years, 1 month ago #482

pixrken wrote:
SFI rated harness expires in two years, FIA rated harness expires in five years.
Is there any reason not to buy a FIA rated harness?

NOPE!

Back when the SFI rated was shifted to two years I got an FIA rated Schroth. The harness was epensive at $300 at the time, but very very nice. I got it in 2004 and it was good through 2009. I have been quite happy with it and will probably get another Schroth to replace it come 2009.

It is also SFI rated too, but NASA will accept the FIA cert for 5 years. I would never get another harness that was not at least FIA certed as well. No reason to throw away a good harness after just 2 years.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:SFI vs FIA harness 16 years, 1 month ago #487

• pixrken
  • NorCal 944-Spec Director
Thanks Guys,

That's what I thought. This is a subtle fact that folks buying harnesses should be aware of.
We have some SFI harnesses that are expiring this year that were purchased two years ago.
--Ken
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds