Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Re-wire Project Write Up
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Re-wire Project Write Up

Re-wire Project Write Up 13 years, 4 months ago #9077

My car is an 89 chassis.

I've been meaning for some time to tear out all of the stock wiring and start from scratch with a basic harness. I'm doing it for both reliability and weight loss (I'm 2680 base right now). A DNF this season due to my ignition switch wiring coming off gave me extra incentive since that moment ended up costing me the regional championship.

I went with the 8 circuit Painless race harness that includes a fuse/relay panel and lengths of wire from each relay. I'm tying that in to Longacre switch panels.

Today I pulled out all of the old, stock wiring with the exception of the engine harness. Total weight out of the car was 41 LBs including wire, various small electrical parts, and the fuse/relay panel.

I also pulled the stock fans and I'll be installing a single shallow, light aftermarket fan that weighs around 3 Lbs. The stock fans weighed 11 Lbs from my measurement.

It took me about 5 hours to get everything out. Not bad for 52 Lbs out of the car. I'll likely be adding back around 10 Lbs with the new parts.

As I put it all together, I'll post some pics and a write up. I'm going to use very high quality weather tight connectors for reliability.

Stay tuned if interested.

Re: Re-wire Project Write Up 13 years, 4 months ago #9080

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Very interested - keep posting ! And MANY Pics !
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Re-wire Project Write Up 13 years, 4 months ago #9084

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
Steve:

What Painless part number?

What kind of connectors did you choose?

Tnx,

John
'JB'

Re: Re-wire Project Write Up 13 years, 4 months ago #9087

John,

I'm leaning toward these Weather Pack connections:

www.diyautotune.com/catalog/weather-pack-kits-c-74.html

I'm probably going to have to buy a nice ratcheting crimper as well. I only have the cheap kind. I can lend the crimpers after I'm done.

I'll get the Painless P/N when I pull everything out to get started. Here's my wiring diagram (revised 1/5/11):

Last Edit: 13 years, 3 months ago by 944Racer72.

Re: Re-wire Project Write Up 13 years, 4 months ago #9088

I'm also using an electric Cut off switch (rather than mechanical). Details/pictures to come.

Re: Re-wire Project Write Up 13 years, 4 months ago #9089

• B1BFlyer
  • Senior Racer
*SUBSCRIBED*

Very interested to see how this turns out.

Thanks for the info and pics!
Ryan Peterson
Abilene, TX
924s, #21

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds