Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #9723

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
joepaluch wrote:
if the fan rubs the large hose between the water pump and radiator it is for 2 possible reasons.

1) you have the wrong hose. The early and late car use a slightly different hose and if you use the wrong one it the fan will rub it.

2) you need to sort of twist the hose at the clamps to pull it away from the fan.

Installed right using stock parts there is no rubbing. However I have seen many hoses rub and cut causing problems. Rub shield is only a band-aid as that will damage the fan blades. Better than chewing up the hose and overheating, but not proper fix either.

I don't know, both ends went on without any persuasion. I didn't have to distort, twist or force any of the hoses on. The new hoses were the same size and length as the ones taken off.

It's not the fan rubbing, it's the fan housing.

PIC_8588a.JPG

And the upper metal of the radiator opening here.

PIC_8610a.JPG

The hose from the t-stat to radiator rubbed on the frame rail because of a bad motor mount. The other 2 rubbed through in the places I put the sheild on. All 3 of these hoses had to be replaced because they had rubbed through and leaked or were very close to leaking. The hoses appeared to be original so it took some time to do this. I'll keep an eye on them and they'll go on my preventive maintenance list.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #9725

RacerX wrote:
But then I saw this.......

ost=9722
ani3.gif

The AeroCatch can be mounted sideways in the rear to take care of the hatch too. One set of 2, will take care of the hood and hatch.
I know they arn't cheap, but they look much better and seem safer the the regular hood pins.

Well, that's the plan for the hood/hatch pins unless I or someone else comes up with a better one.

Doh! Budget right out the window!

That's where I usually put it.
I have seen those, and now that you have reminded me how cool they are, I'm going to get one (that and the fact I've left my hood pins out once )
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #9728

Oh, you are talking about the hose that goes from the radiator to the tank over the top of radiator fans.

On the early cars we zip tie this to chassis.

Here is the hose un-tied and

and here it is tied in You can just see the white zip ties for the hose next to the factory hood latch.

On the 83-85 and 924S tubs we can zip tie to the metal of the chassis and have it rest in safe zone in top of the radiator fans. No need to for any protection as there is no chaffing.

The 85.5 and later cars don't have an idential chassis structure there so you need to secure it differently.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by joepaluch.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #9731

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
Doh! Budget right out the window!

Yep!! Budget be damned!!

I just bought a set. The cheapest I could find here....

cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/AeroCatch-120-20...;hash=item2eb29bcd36

INSTALLATION_IMAGE.jpg

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #9732

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Well, after almost 2 years I'll admit that I've forgotten how to put the car back together. I'm not real familiar with the car so I gathered up all the under hood parts, I think, and dove in.

When I finished It look like this.

PIC_8624.JPG

PIC_8627.JPG

I also found a bracket on the bottom of the lower air filter housing right under a radiator hose. I also found a big clamp, put 2 an 2 together and came up with, yeah 3

PIC_8632A.JPG

If I put a couple of zip ties on here........

PIC_8632B.JPG

It will hold the hose away from the fan housing. Yes Joe, this is the hose I was talking about rubbing. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the pics. It looks like your rubbing here.....

july30-2000ma.JPG

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #9736

RacerX wrote:
It will hold the hose away from the fan housing. Yes Joe, this is the hose I was talking about rubbing. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the pics. It looks like your rubbing here.....

july30-2000ma.JPG

That was before I zip tied it to the metal under the hood latch (see the hole next to the yellow sticker? . The other picture of my engine show just barely two white zip ties. The hose is tucked under the metal just above the fans. It is in fact resting on the fan shroud, but I have never had any chaffing. The zip ties keep it from moving. In fact that hose you see in the photo was from shot taken back in 2000 when first was building my car. I am 99% sure I am running the same hose today. It is still in good shape so why not.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002
Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by joepaluch.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds