Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9970

Why are you sealing off vacuum lines from the J boot?

I still use mine.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9972

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
joepaluch wrote:
Why are you sealing off vacuum lines from the J boot?

I still use mine.

My thought was to hook up the oil fill vent to one of the openings on the j-boot, maybe even installing an oil catch can. I was told just to plug the j-boot and install a breather on the oil fill vent.
Do you have any pics of what you have? Should I change it?
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9973

I just use the stock connections. Oil breather works like normal. Never found the need to change from stock.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9974

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
You forget, I pulled the motor over 2 years ago. I don't remember what went there. Got any pics?

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9975

• many944s
  • Junior Racer
Ken,
I will try to clear up any confusion here.
One of the ports can still be used to goto the AOS.
There are so many engines out there running different setups that there is no one absolut method.

One of the ports from j-boot originally went to the idle stabilizer, then from the idle stabilizer to the a port in the bottom of the intake manifld. Many people remove the idle stabilizer and seal the port on the intake (like yours).

The second port on the j-boot loops back and originally split to the Emissions control system and the top of the AOS. %50 of the cars we have worked on (that we did not build) simply have the emissions tube plugged and the main line back to the AOS. the other %50 have had both ports plugged and a breather on the AOS to prevent debris from entering the AOS.

There has been no appearent performance difference either way... HOWEVER, with a breather/ catch can on the AOS there is one advantage: I have seen far too many times where a racer (just prior to a race) checks their oil and notes that it is a little low, in haste they drop in an entire quart of oil... If the oil level is above the top mark on the dipstick it has a tendancy to flow into the AOS on hard turns, where engine vacuum then sucks the oil back into the jboot, and it puddles in the air box, OR worse yet, if the driver is running a cone intake it will actually leak from the filter, dripping onto the alternator, and evenually furter back onto the exhaust causing clouds of smoke from the car and buildup in the cabin. This has to adverse effects: 1- The driver gets smoked, 2- occasional black flags.

I have seen this happen on 3 cars personally: Ray & Sids engines we did not build, then on the Green machine engine after it was rebuilt did the same thing (puddled in air box after a hasty oil addition just prior to grid). After the first race that the "green machine" rental car did this we put a breather on the AOS and the problem stopped. Oh, did I mention the Green Machine Dyno'd with the highest HP & torque for our class at Putnam this last year? It certainly doesn't create a power loss.

Just clearing the air, there are always multiple "correct" ways.

-Nick Miller
Bennington Motorsports
Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by many944s. Reason: content

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 1 month ago #9976

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Thank you Nick.
Ken

Last Edit: 13 years, 1 month ago by RacerX.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds