Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #10046

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Little progress has been made on the build. Dave dropped by to finish up the electrical. We wanted to get the motor fired up first to make sure that the wiring thats already been done is working. We hooked up a larger battery to do this, we knew that we'd be cranking on the engine a bit and the little battery would not have the reserve to do that. Once we changed the battery out we were ready to start. Turned the mains on, hit the starter button and the motor spun with authority but did not start. We found a no spark, no fuel situation. After investigating, turned out to be the speed and position sensors were switched. With the sensors plugged into their correct connectors we had spark but still no fuel. We had fuel at the rail but the injectors were not working. We check the injectors for voltage and a signal from the DME. The injectors were getting both. After much head banging, testing and phone conversations we've come to the conclusion that the DME is not sending the proper amperage to fire the injectors. We are currently waiting on a different DME.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #10055

DME relay? How did the ref. sensors get switched from when that motor was running at Bennington, on the bench?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #10089

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I had labeled the sensors but they must have been flipped flopped during the rebuild. Both sensor connections are the same so they are easily switched.
Parts will be here in a few more days and hopefully then, it will start!

On to more fun projects.....

Adam from A & J Signs showed up to put some more color on the car. I had him install the stripe and big numbers on the side for fear of messing them up. He does very good work at affordable prices. Yes, it's a shameless plug...... 815-476-0128 Give him a call and maybe he can help you out.

PIC_9408.JPG

PIC_9441.JPG

PIC_9529.JPG

He'll be back to finish up the stripe on the roof once I get the sun roof hole covered. He also can take a pic and turn it into a decal........ and now for the PIÈCE DE RÉSISTANCE

PIC_9568.JPG

Decals and labor to install stripes, larger numbers and windshield banner.....$0.00 sponsor's cost

Last Edit: 13 years ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #10091

• B1BFlyer
  • Senior Racer
Haha love the graphics!
Ryan Peterson
Abilene, TX
924s, #21

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #10092

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Yeah, I think it's starting to look the part of a race car now.

Time to reinstall the back windows. It was nice having them out to build the cage and countless other things.
Here's what you need.....

Small wire or rope, enough to wrap around the window twice.

PIC_9449.JPG

Silicone spray.

PIC_9454.JPG

Make sure that everything is clean and ready to go. Start by spraying silicone around the rubber seal of the window.

PIC_9458.JPG

I tied the wire to my roll cage. It makes it easier to for one person but not necessary if you have 2 people.

PIC_9462.JPG

Wind the wire around the window rubber twice.

PIC_9466.JPG

Hold the window in place. (This is the spot where two people would come in handy. Someone on the outside, holding the window in place and one on the inside to pull the wire.) Push in on the window while pulling the wire slowly. I just reached through the door window to pull the wire. Pulling the wire bends the rubber seal out and catches the metal lip of the window frame. If it doesn't catch it all the first time it will the second time, that's why you wrap it twice.

PIC_9480.JPG

Use some glass cleaner to clean up the messy finger prints you left behind and your all done. It took less than 5 minutes for me to install both windows.

PIC_9488.JPG

Last Edit: 13 years, 2 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 2 months ago #10098

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Alright, lets get the sun roof cover on. I had debated on weather to use the fiberglass panel that came with the car or use some sheet aluminum. I decided that the stock panel was the easiest since there was little painting involved. I cut off all the tabs and brackets on the underside. Gave it a good sanding to even out the surface.

PIC_9504.JPG

I didn't think that there would be much sanding but when I finished.....what a mess!!! Another project that should have been done outside. Fine fiberglass dust everywhere!!

PIC_9497.JPG

After the cleanup I gave the inside a coat of paint to match the interior. It was easier to paint it out of the car than in.

PIC_9509.JPG

It only took about 30 minutes for the paint to set up. I set the panel in place and sealed the crack with some black silicone caulk. I had made some aluminum brackets earlier so I installed them with pop rivets.

PIC_9608.JPG

I added decals of the drivers and later next week Adam can finish the stripping on the roof.

PIC_9672.JPG

Silicone caulk.....$3.15
Total in car so far.....$7778.19

Last Edit: 13 years ago by RacerX.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds