Username Password: Remember me

if we race with Thunder...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
NASA Rocky Mountain Region

www.nasarockymountain.com/
  • Page:

TOPIC: if we race with Thunder...

if we race with Thunder... 16 years, 2 months ago #271

This year there is a good chance we will race with thunder (AI/CMC)some of the time . I do not have a problem with this and it helps NASA. BUT ...

what if tommy (the race leader) passes dirks but not me then the yellow flag comes out . I would drive off and get to lap the field. I know that this is part of racing but it's really not fair to get such a huge advantage do to being on track with cars that are way faster than we are. I propose that we would allow the lead car and pace car to pass us if that happens . I will talk to the race director about this and try to make it happen . now if Tommy passes half of our field and the front half does not know where the back half is then it would be hard to make this happen.

bottom line is it will need to be an on the fly call made by the lead 944-spec driver . and we will just do the best we can. if it's me i will waive the race leader by so i can race for the win with my fellow 944-spec cars.

we can talk more about this later but what do yall think ?

Re:if we race with Thunder... 16 years, 2 months ago #275

• Snymo
  • Drivers Ed
Chuck,

As the unofficial pace car driver, it will be really hard to make this happen. When I am sent out for a yellow, I sit at the exit of pit lane and wait for the leader (Tommy or other) to come around turn 10 and get to about the start/finish line. I do everything I can to pick up the lead car and let the others go by. So, unless there is a big pack of cars on the front straight when the yellow comes out, there won't be anyone in front of the leader.

Also, from past experience, trying to use hand signals to tell another driver something during a yellow is pretty hard. There would have to be a crystal clear understanding of how to do things will all drivers in the group to make it work right. Otherwise, you'll let the leader by and then the guy behind him will think it's ok for him to go by too and that starts a "Oh, I'll just follow that guy" effect.

Not saying it can't be done, but it will be pretty hard.

Rick
Rick Snyder
Snyder Motorsports
944 Spec: #10-Miller, #43-Burt

Re:if we race with Thunder... 16 years, 2 months ago #294

In all my years in 944 spec racing in Arizona we have always had mixed groups. Some with cars that lap up 3-4 times in 25 min race. The number of times a FCY has split off the leader from the rest of the pack like that is once.

It could happen, but just let things fall where they do. That is my suggestion
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:if we race with Thunder... 16 years, 2 months ago #298

thanks Rick and Joe it's great to have yall helping us out ! So lets see how it goes and if the leader gets split off we can try to do our best... I will talk with the race director but I'm sure it won't be easy if it does happen. it's all good !
  • Page:
Moderators: SvoChuck, dmdirks
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds