Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Headers Question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Headers Question

Headers Question 12 years, 7 months ago #11418

I am re-reading the rules and I noticed something odd. according to the rules regarding headers:

12.7.1 The stock genuine Porsche OE exhaust manifold (header) is required. The stock header consists of two separate manifolds, one connecting cylinders 1 and 4 and the other connecting cylinders 2 and 3. Headers may be welded to repair cracks and headers may be wrapped with appropriate materials so long as the wrap is removable. Headers may not be coated or painted inside or outside.

Why is it that we allow for header wrap but not header coating? If I am not mistaken the wrap can open the door to exhaust headers rotting if they aren't installed correctly or the special sealant is not used. Also aren't the advantages the same when comparing one to the other?

Can some one enlighten me please? I am I missing something?

TIA
- Blake

1988 Black Spec-944 #141 - McDonald's
Last Edit: 12 years, 7 months ago by 944sracer.

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 7 months ago #11419

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
The more I thought about this, the only thing I think I have read about this, it was so you could tell that only an OEM header was being used. So using a wrap that could be taken off (no matter how much of a PITA that would be) allows to check the header.

HOWEVER, 99.9% of coatings out there would allow for the exact same thing as they are not thick enough to cover the way the header would look. I'm all for allowing a coating or paint? lol to be put on the header.

I would assume that being able to tell the difference between an aftermarket and OEM header would not be hard. Checking diameters, bends, welds, etc would easily point out an aftermarket header. And if it was an aftermarket header and literally looked the same, the performance benefit wouldn't be there to justify doing.
-Aaron

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 7 months ago #11420

It is an issue of changing the headers. Stock the headers came with nothing on them. If you coat them you are in fact changing them due to applying a non-removable coating. Header wrap is not actually changing the header at all.

Nuance to be sure, but lines in the sand need to be drawn.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 7 months ago #11423

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
Any chance of that rule being changed? I understand the logic behind it, but it really doesn't add anything that header wrap can't.
-Aaron

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 7 months ago #11424

• JerryW
  • Endurance Racer
  • If you feel in control you arent going fast enough
Justify why the change meets the concept of the Spec class and it can be reviewed in the next rules change period. However the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" and "No New Rules" concepts will also be invoked (some loudly !).

There are many that feel the rules should change as little as possible and only when really needed (I'm one of them). Just because someone somewhere as a nifty new widgit doen't mean we should allow it.
Jerry Whitteridge
Norcal #552

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 7 months ago #11425

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
only reason I can see justifying it is that wrap can hold in moisture and oil/fuel and is a possible safety hazard and a coating provides the same benefit without the disadvantage of wrap.
-Aaron
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds