Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Headers Question
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Headers Question

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 8 months ago #11433

joepaluch wrote:

BTW... When we changed the rule on headers years ago it was due in part to a a specifc header. Cost for header was $650 and with the coating (which was an extra $200) it was reported to gain 10hp. The idea was that be trapping the heat in the exhaust you could get higher exhaust gas velocity and therefore better cylinder scavenging. Thus you could get better cylinder filling and with more air you get more power once you add a bit more fuel.

How can you say the coating was at fault for the increase in Horsepower when your statement leads one to believe that 2 NEW VARIABLES were introduced into the environment at the same time? how can you isolate the effects of one versus the other? Just wondering....

I am truly uneducated when it comes to coatings, as I have said before. So I am merely asking a question as to why the wrap is allowed but not the coating. What testing was done to deem one acceptable but the other not?
- Blake

1988 Black Spec-944 #141 - McDonald's

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 8 months ago #11434

joepaluch wrote:

So any tweak needs to have a pretty clear reason why we should change. Why will it make the class better overall?

Lower engine bay temps which cause reduced stress on the motor oil??? Thus reducing engine fatigue which increases the time between needing engine refreshes??

Am I wrong in my logic? Is the link between lower engine bay temps -> lower oil stress -> less motor fatigue wrong? If it is please tell me and let me know why. If you don't know then tell me too so I can keep digging into this for knowledge.

I hate making waves in a sport I love but I have some questions and want to learn. And I hate rules changes too but allowing wrap but no coating seems weird. And I guess that is the heart of my questions/concerns - the weirdness in allowing wrap but not coating.
- Blake

Last Edit: 12 years, 8 months ago by 944sracer.

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 8 months ago #11435

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
I think the real answer is to not allow header wrap or coatings.

We dont really need them. Proper oil and water cooling is where it is at.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 8 months ago #11438

• GT944
  • Senior Racer
cbuzzetti wrote:

I'm in total agreement here - let's just eliminate the whole thing and be done with it. I say that we allow both, or allow neither. In the interest of the spirit of the class - lets just bail on header wrap.
- Greg - #518

'88 944 Spec Racer - Race Ready! (finally)

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 8 months ago #11440

• Bamf3000
  • Junior Racer
cbuzzetti wrote:

We also didn't need air ducting to the air filter but that was allowed for what reason? It either didn't do anything significant and we made a rule change to appease the masses or it increased HP.

IF we are thinking about getting header wrap because we don't want to allow coating, what exactly was the reason for allowing the wrap in the first place? I would love for someone to inform me how a coating would create a performance advantage over a wrap that is already in the rules?

And if we are going to go down the path of removing things from the rules because we don't want to have rule changes, then there are quite a few things that can be looked at also.
-Aaron
Last Edit: 12 years, 8 months ago by Bamf3000.

Re: Headers Question 12 years, 8 months ago #11442

So I think Buzzetti is on the right track. We either allow both or neither. I think we need some more hard data though before we make any change of any kind. I think we should offer up a few test cars for this decision. We can take temps of engine bays during a race or DE Day then throw on a coated or wrapped header and re take temps. For simplicities sake they will probably be on a different day but as long as the ambient temps are similar we should be ok?

Thoughts?
- Blake

Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds