Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

2012 Rules Change Requests
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 2012 Rules Change Requests

2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11706

Guys, it is that time again, to go over the rules, and see what needs, updating, has evolved, or future problems that may prompt rewording of the rules.

Reasoning for change MUST include at least 1 of the following:
---------->a) Willl decrease series cost because…
---------->b) Will increase series growth because…
---------->c) Will improve competition because…
---------->d) Will provide more clarity because...
---------->e) Will improve reliability because...

HINT – Requests which score points in multiple categories will have better chances of being accepted than those which score points in 1 category (or worse yet, go against the reasonings above.)

I will post in a separate thread some of my observations & collecting data over the last year, and especially at Nationals, with in the next day.

Two things to keep in mind:

Lets keep this civil. We are all passionate about this sport, but rules change requests and respnses need to be kept practical, and level headed. Personal attacks, or inappropriate comments will be moderated.

Try and keep the big picture in mind. For example, a particular rules change might makeyour new build easier/cheaper/faster. However, if it causes the rest of the class to have to go back and redo something on all of their cars, it may not be the best thing for the class as a whole. The "burdon of proof", so to speak, is on the new proposal, not justifying the existing rules.

I've heard some good thoughts already, so let's roll them out!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 12 years, 6 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11709

• phlip
  • Comp School
I want to be able to fix this. This defofmity happens on every 944 I've worked on that is raced hard. Maybe it only occurs on cars with monoball type castor blocks, not sure. I dont want to just heat it up and bend it back to original position, that will weaken the metal and it will happen again. I want to make a plate of .125 inck steel plate with a rectangular steel block welded to it, drilled and tapped to accept 12mm bolts instead of 10mm. This will eliminate the problem of the caged nuts getting stripped.
Cut out the section of the stock sheet metal where the caged 10mm nuts are. The rectangular block will fit inside this hole, then the plate will be welded to the existing sheet metal of the frame rail. I realize this will move the mounting point of the castor block 1/8 inch closer to the ground there by slightly changing suspension geometry but I dont think it will have any effect, adverse or enhanced on how the car performs. It will decrease cost as the only real alternative is a new unbent uni-body, and will increase reliability as, if done correctly, should never require further repair.
I also would like to run GT Racings sunroof delete panel as my fabricator wants about the same amount of money to make me a aluminum replacement that will look nice, but I know I'll get shot down on that one even though the original panel is fiberglass. I'm a mechanic, not a fabricator. I dont want to just sheetmetal screw a piece of aluminum to the roof, it looks like sh!t.
casterblockmount001.JPG

casterblockmount002.JPG

casterblockmount004.JPG
--------------
Phil --------
NASA TX
944 SPEC #030

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11722

• phlip
  • Comp School
Oh ya, I also want to be able to do away with the idle control valve.
It would eliminate possible places for vacuum leaks to occur.
--------------
Phil --------
NASA TX
944 SPEC #030

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11726

Sounds like some reasonable thoughts, Phil. Thanks!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11738

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Doing nothing is the best choice IMO. As in "NO NEW RULES"

but if we must do something then address the exhaust collector issue. This will reduce the chance of additional HP being found there.

Not sure what to say about the pics above, if 1/8" closer to the ground will not make a difference then I dont see how 1/8" closer to the car will make any difference. It would be great to be able to fix that but it must be positioned in the same spot with the same sized hardware.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: 2012 Rules Change Requests 12 years, 6 months ago #11743

• phlip
  • Comp School
if 1/8" closer to the ground will not make a difference then I dont see how 1/8" closer to the car will make any difference. It would be great to be able to fix that but it must be positioned in the same spot with the same sized hardware.[/quote]

I dont care about the 1/8 inch, the bushing is twisted. It effects my ability to align the car properly, and its very difficult to get the caster block bolted backinto place if it has been removed for maintainance or repair, other spec series allow for repair and stregnthening of known weak points.
--------------
Phil --------
NASA TX
944 SPEC #030
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds