Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14350

• dmdirks
Glad to see that most are favoring the (HP+TQ)/2 power cap! It's really not that big of a deal to implement, and as CJ mentions, it will ultimately cut cost and attract more drivers. Furthermore, now that we've confirmed that a LC engine really can make similar power to a HC engine, the racing is just going to get tighter.

I don't see a huge escalation in dyno costs, either. We in the RM region instituted this cap for the 2011 season and I think most of us went to the dyno only once.

Like Charlie, I also don't like to mess with the rules. But this one has my vote.
David Dirks
www.944MotorWerks.com
2010 944-Spec National Champion
Rocky Mountain Region

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14351

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Well I guess it's a settled point and we'll have to live with it. I don't like the fact that it was thrust upon us without input or notice. I know nobody in my region likes it and I'm sure it's something like 50/50 everywhere else. I know the intent is to equalize the racing and I respect that and know it was likely to ruffle feathers as would any change but I still maintain that this is misguided and will affect only the little guys, like me. Dave, I know you guys only had to jump on the dyno once or twice but was that free? And after you instituted the cap did a midpacker(like me)suddenly catapult to the front? I know one region has always wanted this and maybe it affects them more, enough to not have 20+ cars at nationals unless we have this rule, but the rest of us, at least those I know personally, are doing fine without. Motors are not what makes the fast guys fast, it's everything else. Check out the fastest cars and see the little details that maximize the rules, did you spend the effort doing the same things? I am now and because of it I run up front(or close to it) despite having the same engine for almost 5 years that I tuned up for the first time this summer. I have even beat the big engine guys at our horsepower track while still having the stock muffler from 1986. What I do because I can't afford to build a "pro motor" is ask what the fast guys are doing different and they gladly tell me(don't listen to Jim Foxx about the curbs at Infineon unless you want broken suspension parts!)If it's the car they tear into it with me or for me sometimes. Rear brake lockup: Jim fixed that for me, no rear grip; Steve fixed that! Now I run with them lockstep even with a motor with a noisy lifter!

I plan on a podium at Miller next year, hopefully with the same motor if it will hold together one more year, and on a budget that would scare most grownups with a mortgage. If I get DQ'd because I didn't spend enough time on a dyno, so be it. I look forward to seeing all of you there, from my rear view hopefully! And Eric, come out to Norcal and race and meet us sometime, we'd love to have you and I'm sure we can find a spare car somewhere for you, just steer clear of Mr Foxx, he's dangerous!!!

Ron

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14355

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
Ron,
I'm a mid-pack budget racer to the core. I use one set of tires for a whole season, camp at the track, tow on a dolly and I'm on the low end of the HP curve. I finished 5th in the Rocky Mountain region... and I'm all for this cap. As is all of our region.

We dyno'd once. It was arranged with our annual tech inspection, and cost about $70 if I remember correctly. Based on the dyno results, we added weight in attempt to equalize the hp/weight ratio. What did it do for this mid-pack racer... it made for some fantastic close racing. This season was by far my most fun racing season yet. I finally got some podium finishes this year. And, back on page 4 I posted up a link of some similar lap times.

Ron, I know I can't convince you that this is the best option for you... but I really do think it's best for the class. Give it a try, dyno your car to see what your power is at, and to see what your Air/Fuel ratios are. And... I'll see you at Miller, battling for that Podium Finish!
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director
Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by Bottoz.

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14356

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
Sounds like we're in the same boat. I finally broke down and bought an enclosed trailer and converted it into a pseudo toyhauler. No more sleeping in the back of the truck and freezing to death! See you in SLC and I'll by you a beer!

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14357

Ron,

Thanks for the invite. I will get out there at some point. I am making the rounds, but we've got a lot of regions, and not a lot of time! It's on my bucket list to do the 25 someday too. Dan Pina is going this year.[jealous]

I don't think you're as close to a DQ as you think - it's not easy to get there. The sum of your HP & TQ would have to be >280 on the average of 3 runs. You could run 141 HP, and 138.9 TQ and still be legal, for example What was your TQ #? Did you set the tire pressures down to 30PSI? Are you sure your shop used SAE correction? A lot of shops like to use STD correction because it makes their customers happy - bigger #'s. The shop I went to did. My eyes got big when 143+ numbers showed up , until we changed to SAE correction.

[Edit] Great to hear your coming to Nationals, Ron - this is going to be great! I'll be there. Not quite sure my car will be, but we'll see. I'l buy the second round .
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 11 years, 11 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Dyno Cap for 2013 944 Spec 11 years, 11 months ago #14360

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Dirks are you going to be at Nats in a 944?

Ron and Bottoz, I think they are going to have to make a bigger podium
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion