Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Final input on rules change proposals
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Final input on rules change proposals

Final input on rules change proposals 11 years, 5 months ago #14519

OK, so we need to wrap up the rules change proposals wrapped up. While this is not a strictly democratic vote, it may influence the final decisions. As the other thread has gotten pretty muddy, I'd like just a straight up or down vote on the following proposals:

1) Allow external fabricated headlight covers to replace existing OEM covers. Cars with existing OEM cover would be allowed to fill in, cover or tape seams around the headlight cover for parity.

2) Allow external transmission coolers

3) Increase minimum weight to 2,700 lbs

If the wheel weight concern becomes a formal proposal today, we may vote on that as well.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Final input on rules change proposals 11 years, 5 months ago #14521

1) Yes with the provision that the stock panels can also be welded in place and seams filled. No aftermarket nose panels (one piece fiberglass).

2) No until more research is done

3) No, no, and heck no

Re: Final input on rules change proposals 11 years, 5 months ago #14528

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I have no input except on number 2, which I was the first to mention anything about. I had figured that since I didn't format it in the required post 1 request format that it wouldn't make it to this stage.

All I was saying is that we need to do more research going forward on temps in several aspects concerning the transaxle. I don't think it warrants a rule change at this time, and nor would it receive such support since some would suggest you could mount an 18 wheeler sized radiator back there and somehow gain an advantage (although this could also be done with engine oil coolers and accusumps).

Similar to how data was gathered in dyno testing, I think a few racers could volunteer to gather data on trans oil temps as well as wear testing of ring/pinion gears to see if there is any merit to an adjustment to trans cooling techniques. I volunteer to be one of those to mount a trans temp to my transaxle. I think if there were any truth to this then it would be gathered in the Texas heat. Just because one voice of reason says this isn't an issue doesn't make it so. Cost comparison should be done between an oil cooler, main carrier bearing reset, trans rebuild, etc to see if there is a cost savings in a rule adjustment.

As with any rule change, the proper process should be adhered to in order to make sure it is for the betterment of the class.

Whatever the masses want on 1&3 is fine with me.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Final input on rules change proposals 11 years, 5 months ago #14530

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
1) Allow external fabricated headlight covers to replace existing OEM covers. Cars with existing OEM cover would be allowed to fill in, cover or tape seams around the headlight cover for parity. - NO

2) Allow external transmission coolers - YES

3) Increase minimum weight to 2,700 lbs - YES
Old Racer!

Re: Final input on rules change proposals 11 years, 5 months ago #14532

• Big Dog
  • Banned
#1 - yes
#2 - yes - not a "performance issue" and more important because of the new input into the importance of temps with LDS's
#3 - no

Eric, until we know the differences in wheel weights, I do not think that a proposal is warranted. I will bug Dave to get his done unless you believe you will have accurate numbers quickly.

As for what Charlie said, the issue with wheel weight, and 2 pounds is a considerable difference, is that it slows down acceleration and deceleration, rotating mass, as well as affecting cornering, unsprung mass.

The rationale for the hp cap is to improve both the reality AND the perception that we have "equal" racing. If we have other areas that are the same issue, why not try to fix them?

With that I propose that we only use Koni's after some transition period. The fairness is that they are not available to some cars and, therefore, we have an "unequal" part being allowed for only some cars and not all.

I also propose that 924s cars must maintain the factory track width plus whatever is needed to account for the new tire profile.

Jim
Jim Foxx

Re: Final input on rules change proposals 11 years, 5 months ago #14534

• ioport
  • Comp School
1. No.
2. Yes, no a performance issue.
3. Hell no.
Ken Myers
I/O Port Racing Supplies
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds