Tranny Mount Mod seems silly.
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tranny Mount Mod seems silly.

Tranny Mount Mod seems silly. 9 years, 11 months ago #17708

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
OK so I know we can 'fill' the void in the single point mount to stiffen it with polyurethane. This is a little silly dont you think? I mean we are stiffening the mount, but we could do this with a bracket style mount both better and cheaper than the cost of the polyurethane.

Can I propose we allow any mount so long as it is dimensionally equal (mount position). I can weld up a bracket in like 10 mins.

Thoughts?
Old Racer!

Re: Tranny Mount Mod seems silly. 9 years, 11 months ago #17711

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I ordered a can of urethane off McMaster Carr and did it very easily with some tape to make the mold which any shade tree mechanic can do. Just wrap the stock single point mount in tape with a hole on top to pour in the urethane.

Not any shade tree mechanic has access to a welder to weld up a bracket. I noticed a huge difference in the before and after movement of the trans.

Plus, I don't think the rule change proposal window is currently open.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Tranny Mount Mod seems silly. 9 years, 11 months ago #17721

^ This.

Also, verifying dimensions and positioning would open up a can of worms.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: Tranny Mount Mod seems silly. 9 years, 11 months ago #17722

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
How hard is this urethane you got? Is it like plastic or rubber when dry?

I am wondering because I have lots of products around the garage but none are specifically labeled 'urethane'. I imagine it can be hard correct?

By the way the reason I feel the mount option could be opened is that there is already the 'motorsports' mount that was used on the 944 Turbo Cup cars that is visually the same as the normal stock unit, but extremely stiff, I wonder how many are running that $300+ mount right now? A cheap steel one is $20 if you make it yourself or $50 if you have a welder make one. That is cheaper than a stock mount. Anyway just my 0.2c.

Doc, there is ZERO advantage going down with the mount because it only makes the CV angles worse than they already are and there is basically no room to go up. Going side to side is silly so I cant see any advantage here. Besides a simple tape measure from a fixed point on the tranny to the cross bar or deck will tell you everything in 2 secs.

AgRacer wrote:
I ordered a can of urethane off McMaster Carr and did it very easily with some tape to make the mold which any shade tree mechanic can do. Just wrap the stock single point mount in tape with a hole on top to pour in the urethane.

Not any shade tree mechanic has access to a welder to weld up a bracket. I noticed a huge difference in the before and after movement of the trans.

Plus, I don't think the rule change proposal window is currently open.
Old Racer!

Re: Tranny Mount Mod seems silly. 9 years, 11 months ago #17727

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
I used the Hard General Purpose Urethane with the part # of 8644K11 on McMaster-Carr. You only need the small size which is $31.91 to complete the job.

www.mcmaster.com/#liquid-urethane/=rxtwy3

While its listed as Hard, it doesn't make the drivetrain completely rigid allowing for absorption of bumps, vibrations, etc but holds the trans firmly in place.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Tranny Mount Mod seems silly. 9 years, 11 months ago #17728

• joeblow
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Old Racer
Thanks, I will check it out. Still seems silly though
Old Racer!
  • Page:
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds