(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20097

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
[quote="RacerX" post=20088]AgRacer wrote:
rd7839 wrote:

Is the following what people are saying is currently legal? Doesnt shorten the throw or improve performance, just repairs worn out parts similar to what the front shift lever fix does with needle bearings.

only944.com/partscatalog/only/shiftlinkagearm/

From my understanding of the rules, I'd think that part would be legal, as long as the length was adjusted to the stock length. You can buy all those components from a hardware store. If the original Porsche part is worn, that would be something that someone could make and be in the original spirit of the rules. I think an OFFICIAL ruling on that needs to be made. Eric/Dan, is this part legal under the current ruleset?

sla11.jpg

14.3.1 Transmission shift linkage may be modified to remove slop or to repair worn components.
The length of the shift lever and the distance of throw of the shifter may not be modified. “Short Shifters” are not allowed. The shift lever (only) from Only 944’s is considered an acceptable
factory alternative: only944.com/partscatalog/only/shifter/

The rule clearly states that the linkage may be modified (meaning the original one) it does not state it can be replaced.

I agree that the shifter could be better. And I would compromise by keeping the stock throw with the only944 kit. This way we get a better shifter but no one has a short shifter. Therefore we keep the cars equal or equivalent. Based on your choice of words. We would have to come up with a specified length for the shifter throw.
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20098

Guys,

This has been bugging me so in the interest of actually solving the problem, I did a little more digging and pulled the linkage from one of my spare transmissions. It was out of a parts car and had been well loved. By that I mean that it definitely had some play.

Before removing the linkage, I shifted by hand through all the gears and felt for where the play is coming from. Keep in mind that any play in the shift rod is going to be amplified by about 6 ft of lever once it gets to the front where we can feel it.

What I found was interesting and I've got some pictures to illustrate so that we can have an educated discussion.

This is what the contraption looks like exploded on the bench. Not including the linkage arm, which actually acts as a top pivot point more than anything.

#1 Exploded View

What I found was that the original design has 2 major points of slop. Taken together both of these translate into some major movement by the time you get to the actual gear shift in the front.

1st major point:
#2 Major Bushing Slop

2nd major point:
#3 Sloppy Bushing

With that information I started thinking about how you could tighten it up without breaching the current rule set as I tend to agree that if we can fix the problem without adding more rules we should try that route first. Supposedly, there is a replacement for the plastic bushing in the 2nd and 3rd pictures but I can't seem to find it for sale, that may solve some of the slop for a short time but just like in the front, the issue will return quickly as it's just a plastic part.

The current rule set does not allow for a fix that will address the real problem, which is the stock part is inadequate. If you look at it as a wear item, that's fine but where would one find the replacement part and for how long will they be available if they still are? If you can find the part, the name of it is the intermediate shift lever part #944 424 013 02

Even if you replace the shift linkage arm with this one,

It won't address the biggest problem with the plastic bushing in picture #2. It will help the feel as the side to side sponginess will tighten up slightly but the major slop in the plastic bushing from pics #2 & #3 is still going to be there. Believe me when I say that the movement from the shift linkage arm was nothing in comparison to what was happening with the other two points and they all seem to work together as the linkage arm is simply the top pivot point.

In conclusion, I don't think anything is going to help fix the problem unless you tackle it with a solid piece such as the one sold at only944.com. It solves both of the weakest points in the system. I'm also ok with the shift linkage arm because it will help but would not give any advantage at all in terms of shift throw.

It may also be worth a call to Only944.com to see whether or not they would be willing and able to manufacture the part with the stock tolerances so that we don't have any issues with the short throw problem.

Just so we're clear, I'm saying that this part will fix the problem in the rear. This part coupled with the linkage arm would be the best solution. The linkage arm alone is not the right solution as it's only the 3rd weakest point and doesn't address the sloppiness in the two major areas.

Hopefully, this will shed some light on the issue and lead to some meaningful discussion.

-Jeremy
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion
Last Edit: 8 years, 9 months ago by FDJeremy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BritRacer

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20103

Nice research and suggestions, Jeremy.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
The following user(s) said Thank You: FDJeremy

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20104

If you want to make a short shifter for your car, you can do it with $0.10 of metal and a welder:

https://imageshack.com/i/0aimg0854yuj

https://imageshack.com/i/g9img0857ij

Take 8mm off the cast piece (I used a hacksaw), and add 10mm to the plate steel and you are good to go!
#124, 1987 924S Spec racer
1988 Turbo S
Last Edit: 8 years, 9 months ago by KDJones2000.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20105

KDJones2000 wrote:
If you want to make a short shifter for your car, you can do it with $0.10 of metal and a welder:

https://imageshack.com/i/0aimg0854yuj

https://imageshack.com/i/g9img0857ij

Take 8mm off the cast piece (I used a hacksaw), and add 10mm to the plate steel and you are good to go!

That's not legal currently and it doesn't solve the problem of the sloppy shifter bushings. If anything, it should make the problem worse as its putting more stress on the poorly designed plasting piece.

However, it would be a cheap option for those that dont want to buy the 944only.com part should we allow a short shifter in the rulebook.
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20106

Don't knock it unless you have tried it.

It works great, have done it on multiple 944's and really makes the shifting work as you would want it to.

Have used it on my endurance race cars for the past 4 years with zero issues. Talking about 24 hour races, not 20 min sprints. Had it on street cars for years, again with zero issues.

Agreed on needing a rules change to be legal for Spec.
#124, 1987 924S Spec racer
1988 Turbo S
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds