(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20116

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
FDJeremy wrote:
drive.google.com/file/d/0ByZmKEcqeDvbSGF...iew?usp=docslist_api

This is offending part.

Some wanted to see a clearer pic of the problem area.

And the amount of 'fixing' required to 'fix' this part requires one to do copious amounts of innovating. But, one would have to ensure enough stock shifting mechanism is leftover so as to satisfy the only modify and not replace wording of the rules. Since you cant buy new of these parts anymore, we are left to deal with 'fixing' the old stuff, or specifying a new part to replace it. Haking apart the existing parts to replace with heim joints and other fancy new hardware flies in the face of this not being an innovators class even if it is legal to the letter of the specific rule. Further justification of us needing another legal solution to the problem.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20120

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer

This fix will cost about $25 and an afternoon of work

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20121

• dpRacing Dan
  • 944 Spec National Director
Thanks for posting! Good find.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20122

That is a good find. It's cheap and will improve the play to a degree.

Here's what I see as where it falls short of a solid piece:

Top pin:
That fix would help tighten up the play in the side to side(y) plane somewhat but you still have to deal with the sliding of the pin in the worn out barrel in the front to back(x) plane, which can never truly by tightened away and will continue to get worse over time no matter how much you torque the nut.

Intermediate Shift Linkage:
The side to side (y) plane will be helped by this design but it can never be truly tightened up as much as it should be due to the fact that the barrel of the bushing is wallowed out and that you can't torque down a snap ring. Over time this will get sloppier and sloppier due to the plastic bushing continuing to wear away over time. Like I said before, you can't torque a snap ring so you'll have to continue to shim and shim.

Like I said, I do like this fix but I still think a solid piece solves the problem instead of just kicking the can down the road. If we don't get the solid piece approved, I'll definitely be looking into making this happen on my car but I still believe that the solid piece is the best solution to minimize the "money shifts". I can think of many other things that I would rather spend my time working on rather than constantly re-adjusting my shift linkage when we have a solid solution available. One that is real-world tested on many cars roaming the streets.
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion
Last Edit: 8 years, 9 months ago by FDJeremy.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20123

• AgRacer
  • Administrator
rd7839 wrote:

This fix will cost about $25 and an afternoon of work

Well the guy is barefoot and working on the floor in his garage so he fits in with us. If this is going to be the way forward, then it won't require a rule change, but I do think some directions and a parts list needs to be assembled before we declare this the solution this go around. Else we are going to be going over shifters again one year from now. The difference in the price between this fix and allowing the $90 alternative is the cost in searching for, ordering and assembling parts. Then the afternoon or more of removing/modifying/reinstalling depending on how garage savvy you are.
J. Stanley
NASA-SE Region 944 Spec Series Director
Yellow #60

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20124

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
here is a link to an ebay listing of the plastic coupler that wears out.
Plastic coupler

I am investigating what it would take to manufacture a similar part from aluminum-bronze alloy, or a bushed plastic piece...hopefully I will have some time free up
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Last Edit: 8 years, 9 months ago by cgktexas.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds