Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Requests for 2016
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20125

cgktexas wrote:
here is a link to an ebay listing of the plastic coupler that wears out.
Plastic coupler

I am investigating what it would take to manufacture a similar part from aluminum-bronze alloy, or a bushed plastic piece...hopefully I will have some time free up

I also reached out to Kyle at Only944.com to ascertain his willingness to manufacture the block piece of his design to the specifications of the original vertical arm. If he can do that, there should be no objection to using that part that I can see.
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20126

• BritRacer
  • Seasoned Racer
This would be great, but whats wrong with using the current part he offers and stipulating that it must be connected in the top holes to keep the stock throw.

Also why is this part not covered under the following from 2.1. As in the stock configuration it is a direct replacement for the porsche part, with no performance impact as the throw etc remains the same.

"Aftermarket parts designed and sold as direct replacements for stock genuine Porsche original equipment parts with no change in performance or weight may be used and will be considered “stock” for the purposes of these rules"
Jason Jane
Norcal

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20127

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
BritRacer wrote:
This would be great, but whats wrong with using the current part he offers and stipulating that it must be connected in the top holes to keep the stock throw.

Also why is this part not covered under the following from 2.1. As in the stock configuration it is a direct replacement for the porsche part, with no performance impact as the throw etc remains the same.

"Aftermarket parts designed and sold as direct replacements for stock genuine Porsche original equipment parts with no change in performance or weight may be used and will be considered “stock” for the purposes of these rules"

The only944 rear shifter piece changes the fore/aft throw 30%, the side/side throw is unchanged using the lower slot and 30% decrease of throw in the top slot.

I believe the piece in the link I posted is covered, but the issue is that this currently available "direct replacement" piece is still plastic and as such, in a hard use scenario, probably only temporarily addresses the sloppiness issue. I believe that finding and using a direct replacement made of more suitable material requires no change in rules.
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20128

I personally think decreasing the fore and aft throw would be a great thing. I mean these are racecars, what's the big deal? There's even a free solution if you want to modify the stock part to do the same thing. Just allow a full on short shifter and we can just use the tried and true design if we are so inclined.

The throw on the shifter is the worst part of driving a 944 and it seems to me that we should take steps to fix the problem instead of worrying about not changing the rulebook. The $90 isn't going to break anyone's racing budget and you don't have to have one to stay competitive. It's mostly a reliability mod.

It's not like someone with a short shifter is going to beat someone without just because they shifted a few milliseconds faster than the other guy. What they might do is keep their motor under the hood for a bit longer than the other guy.
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion
Last Edit: 8 years, 9 months ago by FDJeremy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cgktexas

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20129

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
I disagree, the worst part of racing a 944 is when you crash into your buddy!!
Last Edit: 8 years, 9 months ago by rd7839. Reason: sic

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20130

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
BritRacer wrote:

Good points above so I'd like to ask for clarification as it relates to my previous post about the other two front shift levers (not the back transmission linkage).

www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Porsche/LRA-944-SSL.html
www.9xauto.com/porsche-944-968-custom-shifter

Would the two shifters above meet the "direct replacement" rule if adjusted to stock height?

I'm asking clarification because of this clause:
"The shift lever (only) from Only 944’s is considered an acceptable
factory alternative: only944.com/partscatalog/only/shifter/"

Does that mean any others are not acceptable or is that just an example of one that is acceptable.

Please note I am not trying to be facetious here picking apart the language but am genuinely trying to understand what is and is not currently allowed in the rules as I participate in the discussion of proposals for next year.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds