Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Requests for 2016
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20151

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Let me try from a different perspective. This will be my last post on this, I promise. I've been in this series since the 2011 season. I'm not a front runner but more of a back to mid-pack runner. I don't consider myself a great driver and still have much to learn but I'm here for the FUN!! (MOSTLY) Comradery & Competition is fun too. I look at racing like this...If I have the same equipment as the guys who finish on the podium all the time, then my CAR is equal to theirs. Notice I said my CAR, not me. I've seen Dan, Eric and Neal do shit that blows my mind. I try to keep up and know my CAR can do it because it's the same as theirs but my brain say's NO. Now every year I have to keep spending more and more to keep up. Wheels, shifter and whatnot. Where's it all end??? I keep falling further behind and they keep getting further ahead. I know it's me, the loose nut behind the wheel but if you keep getting further ahead by spending more on the newest gadget then what's the point in trying? This class is suppose to be about DRIVER ABILITY not spend-ability. You know as well as I, every edge you have that someone else doesn't, puts them at a disadvantage no matter how small! If a short shifter gives you .0500 sec faster shift and you shift 8 times a lap, a 20 lap race gives you an 8 second advantage. This is a typical lap in a 40 min sprint race at Autobahn Country Club. Now tell me what racer is willing to give up 8 seconds?? You've just won the race, now take 8 seconds off. Are you still on the podium?

How many people in this class are in my shoes??? I'd say 2/3 to 3/4 of the class.

1 Wheels......................NO

2 Short Shifter..............NO

3 Bumper Shock..........NO Is it safer to weld them, esp in a collision? If someone wants to put foam in the back for safety, do you think we need to weld up the bumper shock? If allowed, do they get welded extended or compressed is there an aero advantage? Can you gut them then weld them. There is a weight advantage when gutted, about 2 1/2 lbs per shock. We're not allowed to cut weight in the bumper why should we be allowed to in the bumper shock?

4 Dyno...It's good as is.

5 Crank Scraper..........NO, at this time.

6 Spare Tire Well Foam....Yes, if it makes it safer but needs to be fire resistant and removable.

7 Coil Overs.........Hell NO!

8 Fix the wording on the rules I mentioned in previous post.
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 8 years, 9 months ago by RacerX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cbuzzetti

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20152

• wera44
  • Junior Racer
You know guys at some point your going to have to say yes to somethings. We are talking about 30 plus year ( in some case ) old cars. You can't just keep reusing old parts and expect them to last forever. These cars are so low tech it's laughable. I keep hearing rule creep but it looks as if things haven't changed since the mid 80s for this class. I just started spec 944 this year and I have to be honest this thread makes me want to sell my car and race somewhere else. If people won't budge on a $90 shifter there's no hope. I spend $90 in fuel getting to the track.....

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20153

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
Maybe you picked the wrong class of you were looking for change.

I would agree to a spec shifter as long as it is clearly defined with source and part number.

No on everythong else is my vote. Hows that for compromise?
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion
The following user(s) said Thank You: FDJeremy

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20154

• 1M Fan
  • Junior Racer
I'll chine in with my thoughts. I requested the three piece crossmember last year and was shot down for reliability issues. I've bought a car with a broken crossmember and I bent the one in my car this year, so these things will fail regardless of one piece of multi-piece. There is zero performance gain and an insignificant wieght difference so we should allow them for serviceability.. Currently, you are out of luck if you have a bearing, pickup tube or oil pan problem. With a three piece crossmember, you'll be back in action for the next race.

I'd also vote for the short shifter. The rear OEM shifter components are unattainable. I've never seen a car with good parts. You should allow the aftermarket prevail in this case and supply new parts.'the only other option is a jury rigged solution that doesn't last. You allow turbo valve springs for a similar reason.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20155

• Manuel_M
  • Junior Racer
Im not sure if its been covered, but this will fix the slope issue at the shifter.

I would like to outlaw lsd's, I dont have one and they are too expensive and not in spirit of the low cost class just kidding......
Attachments:
Last Edit: 8 years, 9 months ago by Manuel_M.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20156

rd7839 wrote:
I disagree, the worst part of racing a 944 is when you crash into your buddy!!

Wow, snap spin - did the guy up front shift into 1st?
Is there some hidden meaning here?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Banner
Time to create page: 0.11 seconds