Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Requests for 2016
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 10 months ago #20040

1) I like the idea of having options for wheels. I don't personally have an issue finding wheels and wouldn't pay $600+ for a set but I don't see a problem with having another option. Honestly, if you beat me on wheels that weigh 15 lbs and my wheels weigh 15.2 lbs, lets be honest here, you out-drove me.

2) Short-shifter: Absolutely yes!! I've replaced the crappy design of a shifter 3 times and it's right back where it was. I've seen more guys screw up engines by missing a shift than I care to talk about and I know the Taylors don't want to talk about it either If a short shifter can fix the problem with the bad shifter design and they won't wear out as fast, I vote yes on that as well. Shifters are cheap, engines are not!

3) Crank scraper, I don't know enough about the pros and cons to weigh in but if it increases reliability without improving performance, why not allow it?

4) Welded bumper struts, also yes on this. I was about to do it until I realized that it wasn't allowed. I've had to pull several of them already because one of my buddies / rivals decided to stop paying attention in the braking zone. He replaced them of course but still, there was no reason to not have them welded as they don't give me an advantage performance-wise and the safety argument is sketchy at best.

5) This is totally unreasonable and I know that it'll never pass but I want rear coilovers. I'm sick of getting beat by miatas in the turns. With coilovers in the rear, we have much better options to properly spring these cars.

That's my .02
Go ahead and flame at will!

-Jeremy
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 10 months ago #20041

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
sfoltz wrote:
RacerX wrote:

Being the 3-4 Group Leader, it was a no-brainer to ask who was planning to continue on to a race group, even if it's a year or so away. You have to sell them the idea. Plant the seed!! I draw on my own experiences to help them decide what class is best for them, even if it's not ours. Remember when you were in their position? Trying to decide what to do? If you "take them by the hand" and lead them, they will follow. You can't push them. Let them decide.

AIX, AI, GTS are all money classes, how much do you want to spend, brake pads, rotors, tires and then the big $$$ motor build. If you compare this with a Spec class, there's no comparison for cost. The Spec class wins every time. Now compare the Spec classes, Miata, E-30, 944 and point out the cost differences. Now point out how the Miata guys paddock all over and don't share while the 944 guys paddock all together, share data, parts and knowledge. Now pick apart the E-30 guys. Next invite them over to look at the cars and meet the rest of the guys.

You've just opened up their eyes and filled their brain so let it sink in. It might take a while but you can work on him/her for the rest of the season. Save them a paddock spot by the group for the next race so they can see the group in action and feel like they belong. This all starts with someone going over to them!! Series Directors, you have to make the first move!! Good luck recruiting!

Well said Ken. This was the exact reason for me to get into this class. Sold my Mustang track car after Road America last year and bought a 1988 944. The car will be finished for next year and I'm ready for some FUN!

Sean

That's right, I remember now!! Welcome aboard and hope to see you this spring! So make that 5 guys in 3 years! Although I think Gary worked on you the most. But I found you first! LOL
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 10 months ago #20045

• danl4444
  • Comp School
1) wheels: yes
2) shifter: yes (a specific part number should be chosen and only that one could be used)
3) bumper: yes
4) dyno: leave rule as is. (IMO Eric made the right call at VIR without a doubt.)
5) crank scraper: no clue
6) spare tire well: no opinion.
7) rear coil over: Absolutely yes!!!! Although there is no doubt that recruiting from HPDE is the best way to keep numbers up, we need to get creative about making these cars better to maintain interest. You can call it rules creep. I call it being proactive to keep the class strong.

Just for the record, I've now raced S944, Spec Miata, GTS 3, MX-5 Skip Barber, and a stock car class we have in Rocky Mountain. For reasons too sappy and lengthy for this forum, the 944 guys and gals are by far the most fun to race with. Thanks.

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 10 months ago #20046

• cbuzzetti
  • Endurance Racer
  • 944 Spec = The best racing on the planet
What about these wheels
Attachments:
2018 NASA 944Spec National Champ
2018 NASA ST5 P2 944 Nationals COTA
2017 NASA 944Spec WSC P3
2016 NASA PTD-944 WSC P2
2015 NASA GTS1 Western Champion
2014 NASA 944Spec Western Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec So-Cal Regional Champion
2013 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA GTS-1 National Champion
2010 NASA 944Spec National P3
2010 NASA So-Cal 944Spec Regional Champion
2009 NASA 944Spec National Champion

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 10 months ago #20047

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
cbuzzetti wrote:
What about these wheels

If I make the trek over to the East Coast Championships it'd be nice to have those from the video's I've seen in the wet.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20048

Did a little research on the short shifter option and I've got a solution that should make (most)everyone happy.

This part: only944.com/partscatalog/only/shortshifter/

1) The Only944.com short shifter is cheap, $90.

2) It appears to permanently resolve the issue with the sloppy bushings in the rear as it utilizes chromoly heim joints with Teflon races and two thrust bearings which shouldn't wear out like the stock setup does.

3) It can be installed so that the side to side throw is stock even though the front to back throw would still be 30% shorter. We could put in the rules that it has to be installed in the stock orientation.

I think that this part is ideal for our class because it's cheaper than the replacement part from Porsche which costs $250 and it should solve the issues we have with sloppy shifters. If it saves one driver from a "money shift" it's worth it. Last time I checked it cost about $1500 to repair minimal damage from a missed shift in the mist This is cheap insurance and it seems like a no-brainer.
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds