Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Rule Change Requests for 2016
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Rule Change Requests for 2016

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20052

• ChuckS
  • Seasoned Racer
The Only944 products are really good, so I could agree with this part. Their shifter, which is legal, reduces the slop in a worn factory shifter by at least 70+%, combined with this part, could make our trans shift really nicely. And by requiring the "stock" position, it shouldn't give much of an advantage over a new factory setup at a fraction of the cost.
Chuck Sharp
San Diego, CA
1986 Spec 944 #58
Red / Twin White Stripes

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20053

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
That is a nice piece and not too expensive. I'm not strongly against it but a car that shifts faster is in theory faster. A big difference? Probably not. Ironically I have a couple of linkages sitting on my bench that I'm doing something similar to. The biggest difference is I'm using all the factory parts including the arm that does the shifting. If that piece can use the factory arm then it is already legal I believe so maybe we should check to see if it's interchangeable.

On another note it was said earlier that cookie cutters are becoming desirable to the vw crowd. I used to be a big part of that crowd having owned at last count 14 air cooled vw's, and I still stay in touch although recently my HotVW magazine subscription did expire . The wheels are still not a hot commodity but what has become the new fad is using the 944 brakes, especially on the type 2 buses. These guys are hitting the junkyards and stealing the front hubs, spindles and calipers/rotors plus a lot of them are taking the whole rear torsion carrier and making them fit the bus. There are people who sell kits to adapt them to buses and these guys hit the junkyards hard. These parts are getting a little harder to find so I would suggest hoarding them when you find em. I know calipers are a consumable, at least for me for a bunch of reasons.
Last Edit: 8 years, 9 months ago by rd7839. Reason: sic

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20054

• rd7839
  • Endurance Racer
is this legal?
Attachments:

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20055

• BritRacer
  • Seasoned Racer
I agree that the 0nly944 part looks good but my understanding is that you still could have issues with the linkage as the bushing wear. If we we won't to fix it, let's fix it for good and never discuss it again. Allow the new shift lever, short shifter and linkage, but only their products. That way the whole thing is "new" technology. I missed a shift (1st instead of 3rd) last year and 2 months later my engine failed at champs, not sure if they were related but I am sure it did not help.

I am a against the wheels as I don't feel they are required.

Not sure about the crank scraper, I am sure it will help some cars with power but could it also be used to affect the curve? I don't know enough.
Jason Jane
Norcal

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20056

• afonseca
  • Junior Racer
BritRacer wrote:
...Allow the new shift lever, short shifter and linkage, but only their products.

I'd prefer to have this be a bit more open as there are other products that would work equally well. For example, this shifter from 9xAuto looks much beefier than the Only944 part although a little more cost but it'd be nice to have the option.
www.9xauto.com/porsche-944-968-custom-shifter/

I'm also in favor of the wheels proposal and along those line I'd like rules to specify requirements that could be met by any manufacturer rather than a specific brand.

#44 Alberto Fonseca
? Region

Re: Rule Change Requests for 2016 8 years, 9 months ago #20057

afonseca wrote:
BritRacer wrote:
...Allow the new shift lever, short shifter and linkage, but only their products.

I'd prefer to have this be a bit more open as there are other products that would work equally well. For example, this shifter from 9xAuto looks much beefier than the Only944 part although a little more cost but it'd be nice to have the option.
www.9xauto.com/porsche-944-968-custom-shifter/

I'm also in favor of the wheels proposal and along those line I'd like rules to specify requirements that could be met by any manufacturer rather than a specific brand.

No problem with that shift lever as I think it is beefier and wouldn't affect the throw of the lever but what we're really looking at is the linkage back at the transaxle as a fix for that sloppiness hasn't been addressed in the rules as of yet.

Take a look at this link: only944.com/partscatalog/only/shortshifter/
If you're not first, you're last!

-Abraham Lincoln

2014 944 Spec Regional Champion
2015 944 Spec Regional Champion
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds