Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

why are Fuchs not allowed?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: why are Fuchs not allowed?

why are Fuchs not allowed? 15 years, 1 month ago #3909

Just curious? Because they are not available for later cars?

Re:why are Fuchs not allowed? 15 years, 1 month ago #3910

Mostly because they are too precious, somewhat rare, and significantly lighter. Many also came in staggered, non-spec legal sizes.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:why are Fuchs not allowed? 15 years, 1 month ago #3911

Great question . If we had a FAQ this would be on it.

Cost. Perception that they are better , lighter, stronger.

I think Ken had the weights for all 4 wheels. The good part about this has always been you can sell them, and get 6 to 8 wheels for the price of 4.

Re:why are Fuchs not allowed? 15 years, 1 month ago #3932

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
I hesitate to post, because it's been said before and it's probably beating a dead horse, but I can't resist..

Fuchs: factory option, pretty common, very, very slight advantage. Illegal.

LSD: factory option, pretty rare, big investment and significant advantage to those than can afford it. Legal.

???

That kind of goes against the logic of the Spec class to me. Your not supposed to be able to outspend and win, but a $1200-1500 LSD is an acceptable upgrade and a set of Fuchs is not?
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway

Re:why are Fuchs not allowed? 15 years, 1 month ago #3934

Valid question! We've had some discussion in the past on making LSD's illegal, but there are two issues with this. One, taking an LSD out of a car is a much bigger deal than swapping wheels, and two, there are quite a few Spec cars with LSD's in at this point. Put these two together, and you can see why we elected to stay with the status quo. While cars may have come with one set of Fuchs, we all need 2-3 sets of wheels. 3 sets of Fuchs does add up to big money, while selling one nice set of Fuchs can = 3s sets of Cookie or Phone dials, and it' pretty painless. Fair enough?
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 15 years, 1 month ago by Sterling Doc.

Re:why are Fuchs not allowed? 15 years, 1 month ago #3935

• Gary_44
  • Seasoned Racer
I wouldn't suggest removing LSD's, that would be a mess.

But, has anyone ever considered allowing Fuchs for cars without LSD? Maybe a slight equalizer?

From what I'm finding, the cookies/pd's aren't as easy to come by as maybe they once were. I've been trying to trade my Fuchs for cookies, and the only offers I have are almost straight across trades. Also, I've seen a few cars with blown engines for pretty cheap, $300-600 that I might have bought for spares and the wheels, but I passed because they had Fuchs.
\"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.\"
--- Ernest Hemmingway
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds