Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

pump gas ...
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: pump gas ...

pump gas ... 14 years, 10 months ago #4552

93 octane or less regular auto pump gas . Some cars might be using race gas to gain an advantage or fuel a need for higher compression.

Thoughts ?

Re:pump gas ... 14 years, 10 months ago #4556

Absolutely! Positively!!!
MICHAEL MADUSKE
2009,2010 Southeast 944-SPEC Champion

Re:pump gas ... 14 years, 10 months ago #4558

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Yes, this would help even the playing field by reducing the benefit of tinkering with things on the dyno. I plan to test some of my theories with my datalogger and see what I can get out of these engines (and possibly more octane)... I just need Chris to find his wideband so that I can deal with the fuel ratio variable.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video
Last Edit: 14 years, 10 months ago by Weston.

Re:pump gas ... 14 years, 10 months ago #4559

Wide band is on the south side ....

Re:pump gas ... 14 years, 10 months ago #4560

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I had my car dyno'd and the guy had me take out the mix of 91 and race gas and retested with just 91. It made MORE power with just 91. His point was that our cars are lower compression, octane slows down the burn to help contain detonation in high compression engines and actually takes power away. He proved it with before and after runs. I know some guys believe it increases power but ???

I do now run some race gas, expecially on hot days, to help prevent detonation after killing an engine with 87 gas.

If it doesn't add horsepower, let folks do what they want.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:pump gas ... 14 years, 10 months ago #4563

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
For a 944 that runs properly on 91 octane, using high octane race fuel should do as you said and reduce power. The trick is that octane really does more than just prevent detonation... The slower burn rate also makes it advantageous to run more spark advance, which gives you a longer burn and more power. That's not easy on a 944, and our class rules make it even harder, but it's still possible if you're determined.
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds