Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

3 peice crossmember
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: 3 peice crossmember

3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7480

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
Are the three peice front crossmembers leagal? I don't see any reference to it in the rules, so I'm thinking not, but it would be a nice maintenance item...

Re:3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7481

• GaryM05
  • Senior Racer
I agree - would certainly make it easier to change the rod bearings, but not currently legal as far as I know.
Snyder Motorsports #10 944 Spec

Re:3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7482

this was discussed a while back. I need to dig up that discussion before commenting for consistancy.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7485

• JB3
  • Junior Racer
A friend ran one for a bit on his 951. An impressive looking part; but we were very disappointed with the performance. Quite a bit of movement. Really needs locating pins.

May well be the design has changed. Or another supplier is different. Or a 944 might be less stressful than a 3200lb turbo. Following that experience the stock crossmember looked really good.
'JB'

Re:3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7487

• fishguy
  • Comp School
I have one on my car and it does make the rod bearing change super easy.
mine has given me zero issues on the 944, but you do need to get under the car every few sessions and check that the bolts on it are tight.
it adds zero performance advatage whatsoever on the track, unless you consider that i can swap rod bearings easily if i zing the motor.
my part cost me ~$300 plus my original as a core.

why would NASA not allow this part on a car?

Re:3 peice crossmember 13 years, 11 months ago #7488

• JRichard
  • Senior Racer
The rod bearings would be a simple deal I could knock out it a few hours, but with the rest of the work, it takes it to the point where I send it to the shop, the cost of that would buy three of these, so it makes sense to me, but its all about the rules. Annual rod bearings are std maintenance, easier would keep people from putting it off.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds