Social Media

Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Great NEWS ! about 944-spec's LARGEST REGION
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Great NEWS ! about 944-spec's LARGEST REGION

Great NEWS ! about 944-spec's LARGEST REGION 13 years, 4 months ago #9010

RMR was talking about having a few extra rules to limit power or give a weight break to low power cars (like SP2 light in 944-cup) .

Well we are 100% "not going to do it" the National rule set is the RMR 944-spec rule set !
The topic has been locked.

Re: Great NEWS ! about 944-spec's LARGEST REGION 13 years, 4 months ago #9011

• Weston
  • Seasoned Racer
  • Destroyer of Chris
Money and politics win again. Thanks for all you've done for us, Chuck... It was far more than you had to do, and appreciated more than you may know. Unfortunately, trying to do the right thing doesn't win many friends.

Guess it's time for some of us to do our own thing...
#22 - Red 1983 Porsche 944 - Rocky Mountain

944 Pics & Video
Last Edit: 13 years, 4 months ago by Weston.

Re: Great NEWS ! about 944-spec's LARGEST REGION 13 years, 4 months ago #9012

Yes, Great News indeed. If I so desire, I can choose to continue to race in a Spec racing series that is becoming about who can build a better, more powerful, yet "legal" engine.

I for one won't ever race in 944 Spec at Nationals until something is done in the rules to prevent people from showing up with engines making more power than they had when they were new from the factory. It never mattered to me that we were some of the slowest race cars out on the track because we were all the same speed. However, after what I saw at Nationals last year and what I heard about this year, I'm seriously considering whether I want to continue racing in a SPEC series where I can be beaten because I was outspent! meaning motored!
David Wright
#96 944 Spec
NASA Rocky Mountain HPDE 2 Group Leader

Re: Great NEWS ! about 944-spec's LARGEST REGION 13 years, 4 months ago #9017

• Bottoz
  • Seasoned Racer
The Big Mouths and Big Budgets win.

We'll still have fun with our RMR 30 car field!
C.J. Botts
1984 944 #37

2007 RM HPDE Driver of the Year
2010 RM Instructor of the Year
2013 RM 944SPEC Director

Re: Great NEWS ! about 944-spec's LARGEST REGION 13 years, 4 months ago #9018

Unless the "big money" bought off Chuck, I understand this was a local group decision. Chuck has been a great low cost advocate, and continues to be the example of how to be competitive on a budget. Lets make the best of it, and as mentioned above, enjoy the racing.

I had a discusion with on of the leading 944 Cup racers on the East Coast a few days ago. He lamented that he has to have a 10K+ motor (rebored, re-alusiled, custom piston, tuned chip & header, etc, etc.) motor that has an optomized power curve for their dyno cap (lots of dyno time) to compete, wheras our tighter rules allow a $3-4K motor to win Nationals this year. He wishes he could go back to running Spec out in the NE area.

We will continue to gather data on this, and seek practical solutions.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd
Last Edit: 13 years, 4 months ago by Sterling Doc.

Re: Great NEWS ! about 944-spec's LARGEST REGION 13 years, 4 months ago #9019

Sterling Doc wrote:
wheras our tighter rules allow a $3-4K motor to win Nationals this year

Eric, do you honestly think that having to spend $3k on a motor is reasonable for a Spec class? This is exactly why I will not compete at Nationals, I don't want to be beaten because I was outspent. I want to be beaten because I was outdriven. A powercap does nothing to even the playing field between those with money to spend and those without. Even the powercap that was being contemplated in the RMR region for evaluation was worthless in my opinion!
David Wright
#96 944 Spec
NASA Rocky Mountain HPDE 2 Group Leader
Last Edit: 13 years, 4 months ago by AvantAddict.
Banner
Time to create page: 0.08 seconds