Username Password: Remember me

Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop

Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop 13 years, 9 months ago #7805

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
As some may know I had my oil pressure drop to 1-2 bars at full throttle in my last race. I have my car over at my mechanic (Karl) who is diagnosing what may have gone wrong.

We checked the crank pulley and the bolt is on tight. I have the older style 3 piece OPRV, stock gauge and the stock warning light. Before we take out the oil pan we wanted to double check the OPRV to see if that was fault (seems the early 3 piece styles were known to malfunction). I can upgrade to the early 1 piece style 3/'85 to 1/'87. I have not found a used one of these and they cost $400+ new.

I seem to recall others here who deleted the OPRV and instead run an aftermarket oil pressure / temp gauge in place. Is there a drawback in doing this over the stock system (my car has an external oil cooler using the stock turbo oil cooler housing). Also what would I need to purchase in order to put in an aftermarket gauge?

Thanks.
Joel
83 944 Spec (#74) - conflictedracer.wordpress.com/

Re:Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop 13 years, 9 months ago #7808

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
Edit - It was the oil pressure sender that was deleted not the OPRV.
Joel

Re:Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop 13 years, 9 months ago #7815

• Big Dog
  • Banned
I had oil pressure reading problems with the stock system. In an event, it said I had very little oil pressure. I had no symptoms, though.

I dumped it and put in a mechanical one that has less chance of problems. I have been very happy with it for several years. I added added a 30 pound pressure switch and warning light to help see any low oil pressure problems.

Big Dog
Jim Foxx

Re:Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop 13 years, 9 months ago #7818

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
Well after pulling the oil pan - the pickup tube cracked in half. The rod bearings and crank were damaged.
Joel

Re:Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop 13 years, 9 months ago #7819

Aww, say it ain't so!

Sorry to hear that, Joel.

I have several spare rods you could have if those are damaged (hopefully just the bearings). No crank now, though. Hopefully yours can be refinished. Oversized bearings are expensive, however. Check with Nick at Bennington and John at A Part Above if you need parts or another quote on motor work.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re:Diagnosing Oil Pressure Drop 13 years, 9 months ago #7820

• jaje
  • Seasoned Racer
Thanks Eric. I'm looking to source a local parts car just to get a rebuildable engine or parts for my engine rebuild.
Joel
  • Page:
Moderators: joepaluch, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.09 seconds