• Comp School
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on trying to run in the midwest spec 944 series and would
like to purchase a race ready 944 with the following since i don't have
time to build. The following would be nice to have, but something close
would work.

1. Welded roll cage with side bars
2. Engine rebuilt in last 1-2 years
3. Fully upgraded suspension bits (including bushings)
4. LSD
5. Short gear 5th
6. Street Legal
7. Interior painted
8, Color - does not really matter, but not red would be nice

I really would like it to be street legal since I can easily
drive to most of my potential events in the midwest.

I don't mind if the car is not in the midwest...

Thanks

Sid

If one does not know to which port one is sailing,
no wind is favorable.

Seneca (5 BC - 65 AD)

Re:WTB Race Ready Spec 944 Car for Next Season 15 years, 3 months ago #3277

I don't know of any off hand.

However, I don't think you will be able to easily find a Spec 944 that is both street legal and competitive. The reason being is that most cars have to strip alot off the car to get down to a competitive weight. If you don't mind the car being a little heavy then you should be in good shape. If anyone can get a car to weight while still being street legal that would be sweet. I think that there was a car on the forum (don't remember who) that would drive to the events and i think was relatively competitive.

Not saying it can't be done, haha and i may have just put my foot in my mouth - but finding one that is street legal AND for sale may be challenging.

I suppose you could always purchase magnetic lights to make it legal for street but the first thing I would do is check with the DMV to get the requirements that a car must meet to be street legal.
- Blake

1988 Black Spec-944 #141 - McDonald's
Last Edit: 15 years, 3 months ago by 944sracer.

Re:WTB Race Ready Spec 944 Car for Next Season 15 years, 3 months ago #3280

Norm Hamden's car is competitive and street legal.

See the article here.
http://944spec.org/944SPEC/content/blogsection/1/9/5/10/

In the back ground you can see the motor homes taken to Miller. Norm Drove the 700 miles like this after taking a first and second place

So you can find street legal competive cars.
Also Rich Geislers 03 car that got a first and second place this January is street legal.

However it may be hard to find all that in a current car for sale.

You have two choices. 1) Buy what is out there that is well priced and has most of what you want in it. Then either change what is not quite right or live with it.

Option 2 is to build one to your specs from the ground up.

BTW... street legal can mean different things in different states as well. Here in Az as long as it looks like standard road car and can pass emissions every 2 years it is ok. We don't have inspections. Norm is lucker than most since in Sedona where is from there is no emissions testing.
Joe Paluch
944 Spec #94 Gina Marie Paper Designs
Arizona Regional 944 Spec Director, National Rules Coordinator
2006 Az Champion - 944 Spec Racer Since 2002

Re:WTB Race Ready Spec 944 Car for Next Season 15 years, 3 months ago #3281

• Omn3d0n
  • Comp School
Is the main difference between race and street legal the cat, muffler and lights.
A little weight but not enough to make a major difference. I could always loose
some weight personally (as my wife suggests) to compensate! I don't think it would be that
hard to add them back to a car. Am I missing something?

Re:WTB Race Ready Spec 944 Car for Next Season 15 years, 3 months ago #3282

• 944cer
  • Seasoned Racer
I think you are mostly correct. Most race cars have removed at least the headlights, cat, climate controls and windshield wipers systems. Also the wiring for those systems may have been removed. Parts should be easy to get as most are discarded or sold.
I would also mention one other thought; if you have any major problems at the track ie, control arms, electrical, engine failure it could be difficult to get home having driven instead of towing, although as mentioned there are several that do.

Re:WTB Race Ready Spec 944 Car for Next Season 15 years, 3 months ago #3284

I have a 1988 944 that recently had a fresh rebuild with cross-drilled crankshaft, oil pan baffle, oil cooler. Car has 350lb front springs with Koni shocks, 30mm hollow rear torsions with Koni shocks. Steering rack teflon bushing. 30mm front and 18mm rear swaybar. Front strut brace. No LSD but has short 5th gear. Car is semi-stripped as the rear section is gone but I haven't removed the front carpet and forward because the car is almost too clean to be torn apart. Even the dash is in perfect condition with no cracks. There is no cage in it because I was keeping this car as a backup track/street car. I think I have around $14,000 into the car from the day I owned it.

I wasn't planning on selling it but if the price is right, I might consider it. I also have a brand new Autopower bolt in cage and a Sparco Evo2 seat that I haven't installed yet that may or maynot be included with the sale. Please e-mail me at This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it and we can talk.

Unfortunately the car is RED. The car is in Northern California San Francisco Bay Area and my name is Sid too.
Window Tinting
Paint Protection
Vinyl Graphics
Banner
Time to create page: 0.10 seconds