Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9593

• cgktexas
  • Senior Racer
joepaluch wrote:
I am not sure what you are talking about with respect to tabs.

These are the tabs I was referring to
[/img]
I am just brainstorming ... considering using it as a location for a duct

if I get into any enduros/night racing, was planning on having a spare bumper with light as well
Curt King
Flying Penguin Racing
an OtterHouseProduction (www.otterhouseproductions.com)
Rockwall, TX
#14 1987 944 Spec - in work (and getting closer)
For His Glory Ministry
Lake Pointe Church
Upper Room Dallas
TJT
Autism Speaks
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by cgktexas.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9594

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
joepaluch wrote:
You can remove lights and fill them in. This applies to the bumper lights. The modifcation of the bumper is intend for capping weight reduction.

Here is a photo of the front bumper without pads. All the holes may be filled in or left open. The gaps between the lights and metal may be filled in or you can remove the entire light and fill it in. You can also leave that open, but that would just hurt aero.

Thanks Joe, that's just what I needed to know. I'll try to sell the lights on Ebay to recoup some of the build cost and cover over the opening for aero.

I pulled all the calipers and tore them down. The fluid had more water than brake fluid in it. Lots of rust forming inside the pot, but the pistons were still free. The caipers were so rusted, I had to beat them apart with a big ball-peen hammer.

PIC_8208.JPG

PIC_8122.JPG

PIC_8166.JPG

If I had the money I'd just buy rebuilt ones. I'll have these sand-blasted to remove all the rust, rework the pots and pistons, throw in a seal kit and they'll be good as new. After all, What did I expect from a 26 yr old car with 170,000 miles on it

PIC_8220.JPG

The rear rotors look good so I'll just have them turned.

PIC_8235.JPG
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9614

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I took my box of rusty parts over to a friends shop and used his sand blaster.

PIC_8244.JPG

what started out looking like this.......

PIC_8220_2011-02-13.JPG

ended up looking like .......

PIC_8248.JPG

PIC_8265.JPG

before.......after......

PIC_8166_2011-02-13.JPG

PIC_8254.JPG

PIC_8259.JPG

Before you say it, NO, I DID NOT sandblast the inside of the pot or piston. I cleanded that up with a fine wire wheel and a very very fine rubber disk.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9615

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
PIC_8269.JPG

PIC_8339.JPG

Amazing what you can do with a little air and sand in about an hour of time!! Because the parts will start to rust right away, I threw a coat of paint on them. Installed new seals, dust boots and assembled. I'm waiting on the pads before I install them back on the car. Once installed I'll refill the system with some Motul 600 and bleed.

PIC_8292.JPG

PIC_8288.JPG

Good as new, just waiting to go back on! I'd have them back on if only someone had not forgotten to order brake pads!

PIC_8342.JPG

I removed the backing plate, parking brake shoes and associated hardware. I then install the SS brake lines.

PIC_8272.JPG

PIC_8279.JPG

PIC_8283.JPG

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9617

Really nice work on all of this, Ken. This attention to detial should pay off in a more reliable car over the long term.
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9667

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Thanks, I'm tryin' hard to cover all the wear items and get them back in top condition. I don't want to break down at every event. I can pay a little now or pay Nick a lot at the track. To me there's nothing more frustrating than having to work on your car at the track or pay someone to.

OK, let's finish up with the rest of the brake/clutch system. I'm not going to put fresh fluid in a system that hasn't been maintained for years and expect it to work flawlessly, especially since it had a lot of water and dirt in it.

PIC_8354.JPG

PIC_8350.JPG

For peace of mind I pulled the rest of the system.

PIC_8397.JPG

The fluid that came out was black as coal and was mostly water. I pulled everything apart cleaned and inspected it. It looked good, no pitting in the brake master or rust in the clutch master or slave. All the seals looked to be in good shape with no tears rips or major rub spots. I coated everything with fresh brake fluid and assembled. I cleaned the reservoir with scrubbing bubbles believe it or not. I squirted it in the holes till it foamed out. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and rinsed. I did this several times but there was some very stubborn stuff caked on the inside. I then inserted 2 dozen little nuts, filled it up again with the foam and shook the reservoir back and forth rotating it slowly so to get all 4 sides. It took about 15 minutes of shaking and I put more form in as I went. Beats buying a new one for a $100.

PIC_8430.JPG

PIC_8412.JPG

PIC_8408.JPG

I got everything back together and ready to be filled and bled. The brake pads should be in Thur. so I'll finish that up tomorrow night.

PIC_8444.JPG

PIC_8449.JPG

Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds