Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

NEW CAR BUILD
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: NEW CAR BUILD

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9668

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
I went to the speed shop on Tue. and picked up some supplies.

PIC_8436.JPG

Headers installed.

PIC_8384.JPG

The hoses that came with the oil cooler were way to long so I shortened them up.

PIC_8324.JPG

PIC_8331.JPG

Got the radiator and oil cooler installed.

PIC_8440.JPG

PIC_8392.JPG

AN fittings, oil cooler mount kit, temperature sensor adaptor, metal tape
and fittings for the steam vent........$84.84

Total in car so far.......$5592.94
Ken Frey #3 944-Spec MW Region

"Racing is life! Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

Check out my build thread!!
www.944-spec.org/944SPEC/forum/race-car-...d/9155-new-car-build
Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9703

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
The brake pads showed up so I finished them up. I'd thought I'd be different and try the EBC Yellow Stuff. I had good luck with them on the GTO as long as I didn't run "FLAT OUT" on every lap. But then again, at 3950 lbs, the GTO would run every pad I tried into the ground. They should be good for the measly 2600 lbs the Porsche weights.

PIC_8450.JPG

PIC_8457.JPG

We filled up the reservoir with some Motul 600 and off we went, bleading the system. Now this is what fluid in the reservoir should look like!

PIC_8510.JPG

What a pain in the a$$ to blead!!! We made it through and now I have a clutch pedal that pops back up after it's depressed and brakes that I have confidence in!!

PIC_8517.JPG

I also got the front sway bar installed. I don't know if I'll like this one, but it's a start.

PIC_8522.JPG

Front and rear EBC pads $160.58
Total in car so far.......$5753.52
I just went over my personal budget goal of $5500.
Realistically, I think we'll be somewhere between $8-8500 by the time we're done.
Eric, I thought you said this was a cheap class???? or did you mean you were just cheap?

Last Edit: 13 years, 5 months ago by RacerX.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9704

Cheap is relative, and you're about right where I expected. Spec cars can be built to the numbers in your personal goal, but not at the level you like - used suspension, rebuilding you own motor, used bolt in cage, etc. I think it pays off in the long run to go through things like you have, as you have to do less "pay me later", and waste less money in DNF's :. It sounds like you're right on target with my "budget build," which was also built to a pretty high standard!

Car looks like a million bucks - nice work!
Eric Kuhns

National Director Emeritus

2007, & 2008 National Champion
2011, 2012 2nd

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9710

• Atteberry
  • Seasoned Racer
It appears from the picture that the oil cooler is mounted in front of the radiator. I race out west in heat that is mid 90's to 100 degrees and cooling is a problem. At nationals last year I had an oil cooler installed and the unit was placed in front of the radiator. Air temperatures where only in the high 80's to low 90's and I experienced oil and water temperatures in the 210-220 range. Once the oil cooler was moved up and at an angle the water dropped to 190 and the oil was about 200. You may want to consider moving the oil cooler if you are running in 90 plus degree air temprature areas. My two cents worth and experience. I have very much enjoyed that build thread great work on the car. It looks very neat tidy and professionally done. Good luck and good racing.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9712

• RacerX
  • Endurance Racer
Sterling Doc wrote:
Cheap is relative, and you're about right where I expected. Spec cars can be built to the numbers in your personal goal, but not at the level you like - used suspension, rebuilding you own motor, used bolt in cage, etc. I think it pays off in the long run to go through things like you have, as you have to do less "pay me later", and waste less money in DNF's :. It sounds like you're right on target with my "budget build," which was also built to a pretty high standard!

Car looks like a million bucks - nice work!

Thanks, I was just givin' you a hard time. The $5500 was a real personal goal though. I'll just call it "wishful thinking". I want to build it once, like I like it, to my standard. So far I have learned a tremendous amount about the car and tested my capabilities as a builder. It's not that I haven't done any of this before, I have, it's just doing it all in one project and orchestrating it so it will flow smoothly together in a short time frame.

Atteberry, thanks for the heads up. We'll see what happens and if temps go up, I'll move it further up like you said.

I got the steam vent line all hooked up and installed the water temp. sender w/adapter.

PIC_8534.JPG

PIC_8539.JPG

I loomed some wires that Dave had run earlier. There's more to loom under the hood. HOOD, damn, I forgot about the hood!!!!!! Note to self, dig out hood, remove insulation, wires, hoses and clean. Figure out location for hood pins.

PIC_8547.JPG

I filled in the oval and round holes in the floorboard. I also taped up any holes in the firewall that lead directly into the interior.

PIC_8544.JPG

Hopefully in the next few weeks we'll have it up and running. I hope. (fingers crossed) We should be getting quite a few parts in tomorrow and lots of stuff to do in 52 days.

Re: NEW CAR BUILD 13 years, 5 months ago #9713

• B1BFlyer
  • Senior Racer
I'd like to know what you come up with, I've only seen two examples of hood pins on our cars up close, one with overbuilt heavy steel L brackets, and the other with drilled holes in the strut towers.

I'm about to install hood pins myself and ended up getting some steel L brackets from Lowe's. I may or may not use them since I'm still considering my options on how to mount them. I've got a Longacre pin kit, and I picked up some rubber grommets to put on the pins where the hood will contact so that a little bit of pressure will release the pins and provide a bit of dampening and adjustment room.

I probably won't get to install them this weekend since I just moved into my house, but I'm happy to send pics if I do get them mounted soon.

That insulation on the bottom of my hood was nasty. I should have had a mask and goggles because it went everywhere!

Cheers,
Ryan
Ryan Peterson
Abilene, TX
924s, #21

Oversteer scares passengers, understeer scares drivers.
Moderators: joepaluch, tcomeau, KLR
Banner
Time to create page: 0.12 seconds